Monday, June 23, 2014

Covenant Motherhood

I don't read much. In fact when I do I RARELY actually finish a book. I tend to skip chapters, read spark notes or just fully skip to the end (I do that with reality television too, I like to get the gist and then skip to the reunion show ;).

So books that are easy to read and short are my kind of reads. When I saw Covenant Motherhood in the book store I knew it was something I could finish and hopefully enjoy.



I LOVED it. I read it before Avery even came along and I feel like it prepared me for what was to come.

Something I have come to realize the past nine months as I had a lot of time on my hands and my whole world changed was how insignificant so much of what I cherished before is. And I realized how important the things to come were going to be.

Convenant Motherhood talks about all the things one might think as insignificant like changing diapers, cleaning the house, cooking dinner, etc. are actually in line with how Christ lives his life and how he wants us to live.

Charity is a Christlike atribute that we should be striving for, and how much more charitable can one get than wiping someone else's butt?!

A favorite quote from the book:

                       "One of the important messages that emerges from the history of great women in all ages                  
                        is that they cared more for the future of their families than for their own comfort...
                        Selflessness is a key to happiness and effectiveness; it is precious and must be preserved
                        as a virtue which guarantees so many other virtues...It was never easy to bear and rear                
                        children, but easy things do not make for growth and development."

Anyways, you should all go read it.


No comments:

Post a Comment