Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Aaron Tells "His Side"...This is TOO cute to pass up!

My story (Aaron)

...it's only fair to tell my side too
First of all, I love Bree more than anything; that said, I feel like I need to clarify a few things (though everything she said is, in fact, still true).



I didn't realize it, but for me this story actually began a long time ago. I'm not great at cooking, but I do love throwing BBQs for family and friends and have done so for the past few years. I was living in Provo at the time and have cooked for many people, including Bree's boss Ryan.

A few months ago Ryan asked me to cook for a work party and I agreed to do it. We played around with a few dates and it wasn't really working out for either of us; finally, we agreed on a date. He told me that he would have someone contact me to organize the event and would pay for me to do a BBQ. I just looked at him, shook my head and said, "As long as I get a plate...I'm good." I got a plate full that weekend, and not just of food.

Well, a few weeks passed and I figured I would just "wing it" if no one contacted me. A week before the BBQ I received a call from a number that I didn't recognize. I thought it could be work related, so I answered it, only to hear her sweet voice:

"Hello, this Aaron..."
"Hi, is this Aaron?"
(really?!) "Uh, yes."

I honestly could not understand the first few sentences that this girl said (including her name--sorry Babe), but she mentioned Ryan's name and the BBQ, so I put two and two together and figured that this is the chick organizing the event. Even though I didn't quite get her name I felt very comfortable talking to her and joked around a bit.

I asked what they planned on cooking. She said she didn't know and just figured that I could decide since I was the cook. My first thought was "Isn't this girl supposed to know these things?" So, I asked her, "Aren't you supposed to know these things?" I think she got a little defensive; It was cute.

We decided to meet up before the BBQ to go shopping then hung up. I thought that she sounded cute and a little flirty. Was this girl single? If so, that could be cool. If she's married then I would be a victim of another married woman flirting with me...don't ask.

I got a call the day before the BBQ from a number that I didn't know, but kind of recognized:

"Hello, this is Aaron..."
"Hi, this is Bree!"
"...?" (THAT'S HER NAME!!)

We planned on meeting at Costco and I told her to just look for "a big polynesian-looking guy". She texted from another number saying that THAT's her cell phone and that she is with a baby. I thought that this was a clear sign; she was putting out there that she was married. I mean c'mon, who drops the "I'll have a baby with me" and expects me to think that they are single? Just my luck...another flirty married woman WITH a kid.

As I walked toward the building I tried looking for a woman with a baby. As I got closer I saw a young attractive woman with a baby checking out every brown man walking by...this has to be her. I thought to myself, "Remember, she's married. Off limits!"

Despite my "knowing" that she was married, I put on a charming smile, called her name, and put out my hand to shake hers to introduce myself. She literally jumped back a little and got really flustered, then got all jittery (what was wrong with this girl). She quickly explained that the child wasn't hers...blah, blah, and waved her LEFT hand around to show that she was, in fact, SINGLE...things just got a little more interesting. Alright, Aaron...Operation "Be smooth" has commenced.

The hour or so that we spent in Cosco was actually quite entertaining. And though I wasn't as smooth as I would have liked, I already knew that this girl had the hots for me, so I thought I had the upper hand still; to be fair I thought she was a hot mess too.

Walking around Costco with a girl that looked like she was hit by a hurricane (yet still beautiful despite), a baby, and a cart full of groceries wasn't exactly what I signed up for. The best part was that everyone thought we were married and commented on how cute our baby was. What did I get myself into?! I'm just the cook.
Despite the chaos at Costco we drove back to her work to drop off the food. I opened my window to feel the wind while driving; Bree did the same. I kind of took it as another sign of her being flirtatious (she did have pretty hands) and I thought to myself "I need to ask this girl out."

I later told my brother that I wanted to ask her out. He said:

"Dude, take her out on a date."
"Why do you want me to go on a date with her so badly, you've never seen her."
"You NEVER go on dates, let alone actually asking a girl on one."

Anyway, at her work, there were a few guys that kind of joked with Bree (while I was still standing there) saying that she finally found her good looking, big, buff, brown guy (I was flattered that they thought I was good looking and buff). But, seriously, WHO IS THIS GIRL?! I was going to ask her on a date before I left, but it almost seemed too easy to get her to fall for me...there's got to be some sort of catch that I'm not seeing. Maybe she's a creeper. Hot mess, kid, and checks out every brown guy that she sees...I decided to marinate on the idea a little longer before I jumped the gun.

The BBQ did run smoothly, but I was pretty busy making sure everyone had full stomachs. Yes, I did check Bree out a few times, but I didn't get to talk to her too much. I actually invited a pretty cute girl to the BBQ earlier that week to keep me company, but she bailed on my the night before...good thing or that would have been awkward.

We texted later that day a few times, I'm assuming because we didn't get to talk much, but didn't really hear from each other until she "had" to bring over the reimbursement check on Monday. I'm pretty sure she knew how obvious her intentions were when she sent me the text. She was going to drive 15 minutes away from where she lives to just drop off a check...I don't think so. I did want to see her again so I agreed.

She came up to American Fork and we talked for two hours. I was impressed with our conversations and how comfortable she was talking about anything ("open book" as she put it), so I kept asking her different questions ranging from careers to relationships. She was smart.

This girl wasn't as ridiculous and flustered as she was the week before. I did think she was still a little weird and almost too much to handle, but I still liked her and was going to ask her out for the weekend. She asked first and said that we should do something. When I asked her "when?", she said "Wednesday". That was sooner than I anticipated, but we went on our first date two days later.

The date wasn't spectacular, but still fun. I was a little more serious than normal, but I was really trying to feel her out. She was way too open, which led me to think that she was actually hiding something else that she didn't want me to know. She did admit later that she was thinking of a few things, but she didn't feel comfortable talking about them at the time.

I told Bree that I didn't usually go out on dates and that I really haven't dated anyone seriously in about 2 years. She kind of laughed and me, because I think it led her to the idea that I was either a player, gay, or really anti-social (not necessarily in that order).

I remembered what my brother told me a while back. He said, "Don't waste your money on another man's wife." I'm 29 and have dated enough to know what I want and need in a future wife. Plus, I've spent enough money on girls in past years that I'd probably never see again. Bree was actually looking pretty good (and I would save a lot of money not going on dates, just to date). So I think that a $40 dinner was worth the risk this time.

Bree told me that she couldn't believe that I didn't date anyone for 2 years. I told her that I've just been waiting for the right person to come by; it takes a lot of self-control NOT to date just because. She thought that I was crazy, so I told her that she probably didn't understand because she didn't know what it was like to have any self-control. I then asked her how many guys she dated and kissed during those two years...enough said. And THAT was our first date :)

Our first date was a little different, but again I was intrigued by our conversations. Even though we didn't agree about everything I really enjoyed talking to her. I never got bored...I think she got bored of me though "because I was too serious."

I volunteered to take her to the airport for her MID-singles event for the weekend...I wasn't too worried, even though I pretty much knew her intentions. When she told me she flew standby I told her that she wasn't going to get on the flight (and she didn't). We did a few things around SLC then met up with her Sister in Law and nephews (one of them being my "Costco child"). She was really cool and her kids (all adopted) were way cute. Bree stepped away for a little bit and I got to talk to her S.I.L. for a few minutes about a few random things.

Bree went off to California and did what she does best...socialized. We texted a few times throughout the weekend, but when she came back she seemed a little off. It was the most serious that I've seen her. She told me about a guy that she met and wasn't sure if she wanted to date him or me. The guy was fun and had a personality much like hers and I was...different.

I told her that even though we've only officially gone on one date, I wanted to date her exclusively; that didn't exactly calm the battle going on in her mind. I said it may be a little soon to be talking like this, but I felt like this is what was right. If she didn't want to date I would be totally fine with her decision and understood. She could do whatever she wanted...and she wanted to date me! Oh, Yeah!

Even though it took a little longer for Bree to admit that we were "exclusive" we still did things everyday.
I was invited by her S.I.L. to her nephews sealing, and I was like "There's got to be some kind of mistake. Are you sure?!" I'm not exactly part of your family (yet) and you're not even claiming me as your boyfriend. You can imagine my confusion as I met most of her family in one weekend as her "friend that's a boy", for an incredibly important event. Again, the question went through my mind, "WHO IS THIS GIRL?!"

Luckily, Bree's family is amazing and I'm grateful to be a part of it...now. It didn't turn out too bad.

When she forgot her temple recommend, I saw the panic and frustration in her face. In a way, I kind of saw that same "hot mess" the first day we met. At that moment I wanted to do anything for her in order to make sure that she was okay. We held hands the entire way, and I fell a little in love with her that day.

Even though I've liked her from the start I was still a little unsure, yet curious, about what may turn out. If you know her, you know that Bree is seriously awesome, and that I'm the luckiest guy. If you don't believe me, ask her and she'll tell you how awesome she is and how lucky I am.

I'll never be the same without her...good thing I won't have to worry about that.

5 comments:

  1. Bree, he sounds perfect for you. So cute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahah TOTALLY agree with Rachelle. John and I are cracking up that he puts you in your place. We're happy you found such a great guy Bree. Good luck with all the wedding planning and have a beautiful wedding day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh, this is probably the cutest written "his version" I've ever read. LOVED reading this. And Bree... it sounds like Aaron is the perfect match for you. SO happy for you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved the last part about the sealing. Aaron, you are a stud!

    ReplyDelete