Sunday, June 9, 2013

Little Red Riding

About 5 months ago I entered a lottery for the "Little Red Riding Bike Ride" in Logan utah. When I learned that I got in I immediately signed up for the 100 miler thinking that I was going to be ready by June I was feeling excited...

But life started getting in the way as well as my training for my marathon and I hadn't got a bike yet and so I didn't do much riding outside. I decided that I would only do the 35 miler considering the most I think I had done on a bike as just under 20 miles... I may had only done 15...

A couple days before the race I went riding with a new cycling friend that I will be doing the Saints to Sinners race with in July and she told me to just jump in and try the 50. I was so nervous but asked around about what a 50 miler entails and decided to go for it.

Right before the Race.

The starting line (I never started here. I just followed the crowed after we parked the car haha).

The first few miles were fairly easy but I was feeling a little bored. I wouldn't suggest doing this ride by yourself, it's meant to be fun and for big groups to get together. 

I turned on my music and basically had my own personal boom box. I am surprised more people don't turn on their music like that when they ride (it's way safer than having head phones and its nice to have something to motivate, I really don't know how I am going to do in the Ironman without music for the whole day!). 

The nice thing about this ride was I was a little faster then some so I actually was passing some people which was different than the marathon. I still need to pick up my speed a lot for the Saints to Sinners race.

At about 30 miles I stopped for lunch and I ended up eating a little too much. The next 15 miles were killer. I made a friend for about 3 miles and that made it a little easier and then I ended up drafting with a team for a little while and that was SOO nice. I can't believe how much of a difference it makes to tag on the end of a team! 

Then I got to the last five miles and realized I was off course. I ended up riding an extra mile or so because the team I was drafting with were on course for the 100 miler. 

I took this photo when I thought I only had 5 miles left.

Finishing

I couldn't wait to get to the finish line but honestly I think I could go longer. With just a little more training I am stoked to do a 100 miler. I just hope I can have some friends to ride with! 


The first thing I grab a Diet Coke

The greatest boyfriend who drove me all the way to Logan 
and then wait 3 hours for me to do my ride.

I have so much to do before Ironman Cozumel and it is going to get tough but each one fo these races are getting me more and more excited!




No comments:

Post a Comment