Sunday, February 9, 2014

What Should We Seek After?

This talk was part of the study guide in preparing our lesson for the youth today and MAN, it hit me like a ton of bricks, especially this part:


"As we seek to receive and apply the guidance of the Spirit in a world driven by the trends and issues of the day, we are confronted by an avalanche of often erroneous and trivial information served up by modern technology. We risk becoming what one observer called “‘pancake people’—spread wide and thin as we connect with that vast network of information accessed by the mere touch of a button.” 3
We are also bombarded by popular talk show hosts, television psychologists, fashion magazines, and media commentators, whose skewed values and questionable practices can drive our opinions and influence our behavior. For example, President Spencer W. Kimball (1895–1985) said, “There has never been a time in the world when the role of [women and men] has been more confused.” 4
In this circumstance, confusion, discouragement, or self-doubt may begin to erode our faith and turn us away from the Savior and from building His kingdom on earth. If we focus our decisions on trends and worldly directions, we will be “tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive” (Ephesians 4:14)."

Though we are taught over and over again to seek after the Spirit I find that it is WAY too easy to seek after money, things of the world, the praise of man, the desire to succeed, and we get "tossed to and fro". 


I have found myself lost in the ways of the world, I have sought knowledge and comfort from all the wrong places. And I have even forgotten the importace of my role as a wife, daughter, friend, soon to be mother, etc. 
Always loved seeking the praise of man...

As we continued the lesson one of the kids shared this scripture and my mind was enlightened once again, like it has been before by this particular scripture:

"But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well." Matthew 6:33

Sometimes we just need to be reminded again and again. I know that as we seek HIS Kingdom we will be blessed, it may not be will a perfect knowledge of things, or all the money in the world will be given unto us, or that we will have a perfect life. But I do know that we will be blessed with an eternity of happiness whether it comes today or in the life after. 

So for me I have realized sometimes I just need to turn off the T.V, avoid certain articles, and instead of just building relationships in order to gain more temporal things, I need to use my time indulging in the scriptures, having fervent prayers, and then hopefully I can be a smart part of helping to build the Kingdom of God. 

What should we seek after? 

The Kingdom of God. 










No comments:

Post a Comment