Sunday, February 2, 2014

Success of Others

With the Super Bowl being today I thought it was perfect timing to share some thoughts I have been having the last few weeks. 

I don't know about you but I am SURROUNDED by some pretty cool women, women who's successes I get to read about via postings by others in the news, on facebook or instagram, etc. No but really I have some pretty cool friends and family... check them out: The R HouseFun Cheap or FreeLDS PrintablesThe Shine ProjectKim OrlandiniEvery Dot and TiddleClip and Pin, etc (some of these people I like to think are my "friends" though its been a while since we've even each other, thanks to FB we keep up with each others lives).

It seems as though EVERYONE is doing something cool from making the cutest bow ties to changing the world one blog post at a time. 

I find that every time I look on social media someone I know is finding success and it continues to be a reminder to me that I have done nothing cool to add to the world that day. 

After a particularly tough day wallowing in self pity about my failures I got a call from a dear friend.  My name was brought up at the dinner table in a different state with a bunch of mormon singles, with some one else who knew who I was and they continued to talk for a while specifically about me. 

As she began to tell me the story I feared what could have been said... I have been known to be quite the character and easy to love or hate. So it really could've been anything. 

My friend carried on and told me all these wonderful things that were said. I tried to hold back tears. When she was done I thanked her for the kind words and told her how badly I had needed to hear it considering at that moment I had been wallowing in self-pity thinking about all the success others were having around me. 

She proceeded to share that she had at one point felt that way about me. In her eyes I had found more success in a particular time of our lives and she felt almost jealous, until a teacher shared this story about a Prophet from the Book of Mormon. What caught her attention most was this verse:

"But I do not joy in my own success alone, but my joy is more full because of the success of my brethren, who have been up to the land of Nephi." Alma 29:14

She then taught me in a very humbling and loving way how important it is that we find joy in the success of all those around us, especially those close to us.

Instead of looking at all the things we haven't done why not be grateful that we are surrounded by such wonderful people and find joy in their successes. I believe that if we can do that we will have a more fullness of joy and peace in our lives. 

So win or lose today, Broncos or Seahawks, how about we try to delight in the success of our brethren? ;) 



1 comment: