Thursday, December 20, 2012

Sub 4 Santa and The Bike

You know when you are excited to do something nice for someone and then when your time is limited you start to resent the idea? Well, I am sure many of you are way better than me but I felt that way right before my boss and I left to Walmart with an employee to help him with groceries.

I know, it is horrible. Sadly, I was selfish and thinking about how I wouldn't get home till 8 and then still have to go to the gym and ride the bike for an hour.

As I waited at work for them to get done with their things I could feel the anxiety growing in me. I tried so hard to keep it down but I was not feeling very selfless or Christlike. I knew once we got there, and as we started that I would feel different. There is something about moving forward in service even when you don't want to. Eventually, if you allow it, the spirit will take over and you will be able to put your focus in on serving someone else.

Our employee has 7 kids and lost a lot of money in real estate. He is such a good guy who has been dealt a few tough cards and with that many mouths to feed you can only imagine how much of his pay check goes to feeding them.

My boss Ryan was so great, he just started to give good ideas of meals they could cook and kept telling me and my coworker to grab more bags. And this is what we came up with:


You could just feel the gratitude from his heart as we kept putting more and more food into the cart. I kept thinking about what it would be like to watch his wife's face when he got home. It was so neat being able to be apart of this experience with him. 

I am so grateful for service and the joy it can bring into our lives and I know sometimes it isn't easy to take time away form our work, plans or goals but I know that it is worth it.

I still made it to the gym and hopped on the bike for an hour! It was not easy and I was already feeling it when I had this much time left:



The thing that annoyed me most was after when I saw a friend and he said; "Have you already worked out? You don't look like it." I had just ridden the bike for an HOUR! Now, either I could have pushed it a lot hard or I just wear a good work out well :)


No comments:

Post a Comment