Saturday, January 12, 2013

I Beat Boys

A born feminist, I always wanted to beat the boys.

With four brothers always picking on me it became apart of my life wanting to be just as good as them. At a very young age my competitive nature kicked in.

This nature proved to help me succeed. Leading me to hold a swimming record at the young age of 4 in Chantilly VA for 10 years (one of my only real sporting accomplishments, ha).

It made me believe so young that I could do anything. A few years later I convinced myself that I would be the first woman in the NBA.


My life revolved around sports and I was fairly good. Though I never really became the best I have always been good enough to just keep up. And the trash talking I learned from the long line of Redfern trash talkers. In my older years I used it as a flirting technique that has yet to get me too far.

I was told at a very young age thats boys don't like to get beat by a girl, and if I wanted them to like me I needed to let them win, but the competitiveness kept me from backing down! So I always give it my best and I still have those moments when I beat a boy (or maybe the boys let me win). A few moments include:

Beating two teams of elders in the mission at basketball during an event at the mission home right in front of President Villalba.

I beat a date once in bball, he didn't take it too well and the date ended early.

I beat another guy one on one in bball for a free ice cream (I really just wanted the date;).

And yesterday morning while training I beat my boss in a 50 yrd swim. The other guy with us told me I should've let him win since he signs my paychecks. And that if I really want to get married I probably should start letting the boys win. But where is the fun in that???

Besides how am I suppose to get through the hardest training year of my life without a little competitive juice flowing through my viens? However, this time around I KNOW that I am going to get the beat snot out of me by men and women alike, with this competition I am just trying to survive!

2 comments:

  1. Whoever said that is an idiot! You are awesome, Bree! And the kind of guy you want to be with is going to LOVE how competitive AND how naturally athletic you are. He'll get so turned on when you beat him at things. Just watch ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to have a girl be competitive with sports! Always go for the win :)

    ReplyDelete