Wednesday, March 19, 2014

THAT SUCKS!


Sometimes I wish after you complain about something hard to people they could just say… “that sucks”.

Instead I have noticed how quick people are to give you their own two cents. It’s as if they are preparing their advice while they aren’t listening to you.

I’ve been THAT person, and over the years I have tried to be better about not.

We live in a world that continues to remind us how to overcome, to be successful, to NOT make excuses, to find a solution quickly.

Even the gospel essentially teaches us to face our challenges with a smile on our face, or to get out and forget ourselves and go to work.

I spent 18 months doing that, forgetting myself and giving of everything to serve the Lord. And I was happy, and I do believe this is a way to overcome some tough things.

BUT I also believe sometimes we just need time to grieve, sometimes we need to time to fight our own demons and sometimes we just need time to be SAD.  

We need to face our own Gethsemane’s.

For my “Women Crush Wednesday” I wanted to acknowledge someone who has done this for me for much of my life.

My AMAZING SIL has faced infertility, failed adoption, and a reversed adoption. She believes in allowing people to grieve NO MATTER what it is.


She has been known to just say "that sucks" when I have come to her about my dating woes, school issues, or when I lost my job.

During a tough time in my pregnancy she could’ve had told me to suck it up and be grateful that I was pregnant but instead she allowed me to grieve. She listened, she HEARD me and then she responded with:

“Bringing babies into this world is hard, no matter how they come.”

And you know what’s interesting about this, is I actually felt better. Once someone allowed me to accept it was hard I was able to really start moving forward.

She allows others to grieve on their own time. She gives some of the BEST advice anyone could receive. She REALLY listens to you. And sometimes she just say’s “that sucks” which is all you need to hear. 

4 comments:

  1. I love this blog post! I'm going to try to be more like her in this regard! I look up to her so much!

    P.S. That is such a cute picture of you two at your wedding! Fun fact: I bought all the leftover flip flops from your wedding from Lindsey and we used them at my sister in law's wedding last August :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha... I always wondered where all those went! So glad they were put to good use.

      And yes, Lindsey is pretty awesome, a good person to look up to!

      Delete
  2. I believe the direct quote is "Dude! That sucks!" ---> because I am so proper. ;)

    In reality, I don't usually know WHAT to say (especially about dating and pregnancy--emphasis on the latter) so just commiserating with you seems the best.

    I love you. And I'm honored to be part of your Wednesday crushing! May you always feel safe in my house.

    xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete