Sunday, February 10, 2013

Lonely v.s Alone


I run alone. I bike alone. I swim alone. I go to parties alone. I go to the movies alone. I actually don't mind doing some things alone, often I prefer it. But there are times when it just gets lonely.

I use to have my posy everywhere I went.

Freshman year of college I ran with these girls:




The next few college years:




After the mission I got lucky enough to live with these great girls:



But now it seems as though I am ridin solo more and more. Many of my friends have moved on with their lives, they have their special someone, they've moved on and now are having kids, etc. I don’t want this post to sound so melodramatic, or make anyone think that I am sad and alone because that is not the case. I am often alone and only sometimes am I sad about it.

Being alone isn’t always bad but being lonely can be. While I am training I really do prefer it sometimes. I like to listen to certain songs and go at my own pace. However on my long runs some days I would love to have someone who runs at my same pace to run along side of me and keep me company.

I am o.k with being alone, but I'd rather not be lonely. But how does one really feel less lonely? The world wants to tell us that we HAVE to have our other half (a spouse) or we HAVE to roll with the right posy, or we HAVE to be going out to all the great parties, and HAVE the coolest friends. 

But these things don't always keep us from feeling lonely. We could have all the friends in the world, all the money, be invited to all the cool parties, etc, but still feel lonely. I am sure some of you are reading this and have a spouse, or kids and still feel alone sometimes, or know all the coolest people in town, but still feel lonely.

I am still learning how it is we can find joy and peace in times of loneliness but there are a few things that have helped me when I am feeling lonely:

1.) Know that your Heavenly Father and Savior Jesus Christ are always there for you, and want you to turn to them. They will never leave you feeling lonely.

2.) Reach out to someone else. There are so many people out there who are feeling lost and alone. There is almost always someone else who is suffering more and is in need your love more.

3.) Make a big goal, like an Ironman and use your free time to reach that goal.

Whatever it is that makes you feel lonely; I urge you to seek a deeper relationship with your Father in Heaven, serve others, or set a new goal and fill your time with things that will help you in your progression.


5 comments:

  1. You sure do have a way to connect with others. Thanks for this bri. I have felt the same way for a long time. I enjoy your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great tips bri. Hope all is well

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by the blog! I am comig to Rexburg soon... Hope to see you!!

      Delete
  3. I completely agree that being lonely has little to do with your situation. I think it's wonderful that you're figuring out how to beat loneliness now so that when you do have your own little family, you'll have already conquered that demon.

    ReplyDelete