Sunday, February 3, 2013

Obsessions

I am obsessed with this little thing but this isn't what the post is about. 


I have this awesome gym buddy. You gym rats know what I am talking about. The person you expect to see when you're at the gym at a certain time. You never exchange numbers and only have a few minute conversations about your workouts and on rare occasion, personal things.

I met this girl because I was checking her out. No, I am not into women but I do appreciate a women that has a fit body and I always ask how they do it. So I told her she was looking fabulous and we became instant buddies (girls love to be told they are looking good, give your women words of affirmation guys!).

She was training for a body competition and explained that it is tough to get the body she does. If I was ok with not having a life then I would enjoy it; bringing chicken breast and boiled eggs everywhere you go and only ordering a salad when eating out.

This week I saw her and asked how things were going (I hadn't seen her in a while). She informed me that she has been in the hospital the last week with multiple problems including a damaged kidney. She also told me how unhappy she has been the last few months and that she is quitting the competition. Everything she did was revolved around this competition and the obsession kept her from really being happy.

She felt like she lost herself in the process and wants to be happy again. It's crazy how an activity that really can bring joy can ultimately bring sadness.

Anything we do we need to keep balance in our lives. Spiritually, physically, emotionally, mentally, all of them matter. If we allow ourselves to become obsessed with one aspect we can shift off balance and find ourselves very unhappy.

I hope that I can keep the balance as my races come closer. I'll admit, its been tough lately, getting up early, going on long runs, and scheduling things to make sure that I make time for the gym. I am trying to still stay focused on reading my scriptures every morning, attending the temple, keeping my relationships with family, going on dates, reading good books, and just enjoying life. I hope that I can keep up the balance when the training gets more intense.

6 comments:

  1. I'm all about mediums! And balance! Good post :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Coming from such a good writer means a lot!! I think I saw your husband running yesterday in south Provo! I wanna catch up and hear all about married life ;).

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have learned that you have to keep all things in moderation. Love the blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love and miss you. I need to visit one day.

      Delete
  4. I especially like the part about keeping close to family. :)

    ReplyDelete